Friday 10 July 2015

DAILY CARD DRAW 4

5.12.10
The Queen of Masks

A beautiful woman walking in a cold moonlit cemetery with winter trees behind her and a frosty mist. She’s wearing a long black dress with long pointed lace sleeves, her red hair blowing back from her movements. The arms of two stone crosses part as she walks between them. She’s holding a mask in her right hand and looking down, lost in dreams; her left arm is held out and perhaps swinging as she walks. I feel her melancholy and boredom emanating from this card; wands should be energetic and inspiring but this is deadly cold instead of the warmth I’d expect. This comes as I am snowed-in. I went out today and wished I didn’t have to go… and don’t plan on going anywhere until Monday morning.

She wears a pentacle pendant and her mask is sharp and devilish which seems completely opposite to her character. Perhaps she isn’t happy in her situation and is forced to play the game. So what does that mean to me? That it’s possible to walk through a freezing cemetery in a flimsy dress and not feel it because your mind is elsewhere thinking of warmer times? Is my mind where it ought to be? No – because I’ve found this forum and can’t keep away from it long enough to get back to my WIP (I’m supposed to be researching and delving deeper into tarot) and begin the re-write. This is making me think about my main character and that perhaps she should be more melancholy, in her lesser-manic moments…and maybe I’ll give her a pentacle pendant and a golden devil mask on a stick.

The Queen of Masks is a woman who is spiritually aware, honourable, warm, loving and practical – me in other words. This woman would not rise to her best form in such an environment and so would naturally look back at what she considers her best times. I match this to how I’ve neglected the plans for my new flat (I moved in two years ago!) and live in a dusty stack of books and art materials, sneezing for all I’m worth, with barely a picture on the walls yet. So, if I’m going to be snowed-in this weekend maybe I should make some headway. Hmmm.

Oh, I totally forgot the question I was asking as I shuffled and chose my card – as it happens it was about the WIP. ‘Will it be successful?’ so, even though I forgot I asked the question I ended up thinking about it and working on the character, a little.

- back to the future
No, I haven't finished THAT wip yet...and can't really remember which one it was! Though I leap from one WIP to another, I'm not abandoning them, just laying them away while I play with a new toy - and I don't throw my toys out of the pram and break them. Novels always do better with time for gestation.


No comments:

Post a Comment